Temple Run 2 is a sequel to the original Temple Run and also is the third installment of the Temple Run series. It was released for iOS on the 17th of January, 2013, and for Android on the 31st of January, 2013.
Temple Run 2 features a new scenario which mixes Asian style temples, grass paths through a forest, rivers, zip-lines, mines, narrow bridges and aqueducts. You have to jump over obstacles (swipe up on the screen), slide under others (swipe down), turn at intersections (swipe left or right), and move to the left or right to collect coins or avoid obstacles (tilt your device left or right).
Instead of the three smaller demon monkeys in the first game, the player is chased by a single, much larger monkey. The temple was at one time on the ground, at one time an ancient civilization built the temple but they were killed by a disease. The leader of the civilization was spared by a remedy but because he didn't die, the potion turned him into the large demon monkey that chases you from the temple. Over time the green gems that the civilization found, believing that Gods gave it to them, built large and impressive structures with it. They built a temple for their supreme god and a little while later the disease hit. As time passed the temple remained unfound until the gems that where placed all over the huge temples supports and bases were suddenly charged by am unknown source of power. They lifted the temple out of its hiding place and because of its huge size it was found quickly. News hit the papers and agencies. Treasure hunters came from across the world to find the treasure that the carvings and writing found in the first temple told about. Finally, after thousands of failed attempts of finding the structure that held the idol, a few people managed to find it only to be attacked by the leader of the ancient civilization. That player is you and the rest of the story depends on you.
On December 3, 2015, version 1.19 was introduced. Along with this version for a limited time came Frozen Shadows, "a forbidding new land, full of obstacles and challenges. Surf the luge, race across the frozen forests, unlock new outfits, and above all, beware the snowy Demon Monkeys which lurk behind every corner!" Players had the ability to race on either the new Frozen Shadows map, or the original Sky Summit map. Six new artifacts (Frozen) were also released in this version.
In the Halloween update of 2016, the map Sky Summit was changed into Spooky Summit. However, when the new update came, that map became an separate map all of its own, costing 200 Gems!
The leveling system has been revamped: you can no longer achieve multiple goals at once. Instead, a player can only complete three goals at any given time. For example, if the goal is to complete a 1000m run without tripping and you run 2500m, the only goal that will be accomplished is the 1000m one. You will need to complete the 2500m goal when it becomes available. This new system allows a player to fully complete the objectives over a longer time period.
There are two ways to increase one's score multiplier. One way is to buy the upgrade called "Score Multiplier" with the coins that you manage to collect. The second method is completing the goals throughout the game, which will then eventually raise your level.
Boosts from the first game are no longer buy-able items; instead, the game will offer a Head Start at the start of a run whenever the player has 2,500 or more coins available. Activating it will boost you ahead for 1,000m. When a player has 10,000 or more coins, you can then get a Mega Head Start, which will boost you for 2,500m.
These can be upgraded so that Head Start can cost down to 2,000 coins, and Mega Head Start down to 7,500 coins.
After death, the game will offer a second chance (similar to the Angel Wings in Temple Run) in exchange for gems (1 gem for the first time in a run, 2 for the second, 4 for the third and so on). Since the number of gems required increases very quickly, it is wise to purchase upgrades for Save Me which reduce the number of gems required by up to 5 (although the minimum cost remains at 1 gem). In addition, there is also one free Save Me that allows the player to watch an ad in exchange for a Save Me. You can use "Save Me" five times in a single run.
In later versions, upon using a Save Me, a bonus wheel will appear and you can spin it for something handy. You may get coins, power-ups, or in rare case, gems. If you don't like the result, you can use another gem to re-spin the wheel.
- Coin Magnet
- Boost Distance
- Coin/Power Meter
- Head Start
- Shield: Helps protect you from obstacles. (In Temple Run, it is called Invisibility, but in Temple Run 2, it is called Shield.) Unlike Invisibility, Shield does not protect you from falling. Also, if you run into an obstacle, the Shield effect disappears but you will survive the obstacle.
- Coin Bonus: Instant 50 coin bonus (added to your running total for that run, with points equal to collecting 50 coins).
- Boost : Engages boost instantly.
- Score Bonus: Instant 500 point bonus (added to your basic score for that run, and is affected by multiplier)
- Coin Magnet : Engages magnet instantly.
- Gem Bonus: Gives you one gem.
To activate any of these, you need to double-tap anywhere on the screen when you see that the Coin/Power Meter, in the upper left corner of the screen, is glowing green. To fill the meter, the player will need to collect coins or pick up a couple of the larger gold coin power-ups. (The Power Meter ability can be upgraded with coins, which reduces the amount of time required for the meter to fill up).
- Novice Runner: Run 500 meters (In one run)
- Pocket Change: Collected 100 coins (In one run)
- Adventurer: Scored 25,000 points (In one run)
- Sprinter: Ran 1,000 meters
- Piggy Bank: Collected 250 coins
- Treasure Hunter: Scored 50,000 points
- Stingy: 250m collecting no coins
- High Roller: Scored 100,000 points
- Miser Run: 500m collecting no coins (In one run)
- Daily Dose: Completed a daily challenge
- Gem Collector: Found a gem
- Lump Sum: Collected 500 coins
- Cheat Death: Used a 'Save Me'
- Archaeology 101: Found an artifact
- Power Collector: Unlock a 2nd power-up
- Weakly Challenged: Completed a weekly Challenge
- Fox Trot: Ran 50,000 with Scarlett Fox
- Athlete: Ran 2,500 meters (In one run)
- Payday: Collected 750 coins (In one run)
- Allergic to gold: 1,000m collecting no coins
- 1/4 Million Club: Scored 250,000 points (In one run)
- Lucky Strike: Collected 2 gems in one run
- Couch to 5k: Collected 5,000 coins
- 5K Runner: Ran 5,000 meters
- Steady Feet: Ran 2,500m without tripping
- 1/2 Million Club: Scored 500,000 points (In one run)
- Head Start: Used a 'Head Start'
- Double Resurrection: Used 'Save Me' twice in one run
- Bonus Items: Collected 20 bonus items (after updates now called "Pickup Power: Collect 20 powerups")
- Money Bags: Collected 1,000 coins
- No Trip Runner: Ran 5,000m without tripping
- Daily Doses: 5 consecutive Daily Challenges
- 9 Lives: Used 'Save Me' 9 times
- Temple Runner: Completed 100 Lifetime Runs
- Marathoner: 100,000 lifetime meters
- Artifact scavenger: Found 5 different Artifacts
- 10K Runner: Ran 10,000 meters
- Money Bin: Collected 2,500 coins
- Million Club: Scored 1,000,000 points (In one run)
- Minor Miner: 100,000 lifetime coins
- Fort Knox: Collected 5,000 coins
- Photojournalist: Ran 50,000 with Maria Selva
- Speedy Start: Use 5 'Head Start'
- A Week's Work: Completed all Weekly Challenges
- All the rings!: Found all 10 artifact rings
- 2.5 Million Club: Scored 2,500,000 points
- The Spartan: 1 million without power-ups (1,000,000 points without power-ups)
- Jackpot: Collected 5 gems in one run
- Maskerade Party: Found all 10 Artifact Masks
- Critter Sitter: Found all 10 Critter Artifacts
- Botanist: Found all 10 Floral Artifacts
- Reliquary: Found all 5 Relic Artifacts
- Fashionable: Unlocked a Hat
- Private Collection: Collected 20 Different Artifacts
- Daily dozen: 12 consecutive Daily Challenges
- 5 Million Club: Scored 5,000,000 points
- Ultra Marathoner: Ran 5,000,000 Lifetime Meters
- Bankrupt: Ran 2,000 without coins (in one run)
- Circumnavigator: 1,000,000 lifetime meters
- Gold Miner: 500,000 Lifetime coins
- 10 Million Club: Scored 10,000,000 points
- Mega Runner: Complete 1,000 Lifetime Runs
- Midas Touch: 1,000,000 lifetime coins
- Infinirunner: 10,000,000 lifetime meters
- Powerless: Ran 2,500m with no power ups
- Powering Up: Power up 5 times in one run
- 1 Life: Score 500,000 points with "No Save Me"
- Power Play: Power up 10 times in one run
- Artifact Dealer: Redeem 10 Artifact rewards
- Frozen Collection: Find all 6 Frozen Artifacts (after updates now says collect 11 Frozen Artifacts)
- Unstoppable: Score 1,000,000 points with "No Save Me"
- Frozen Fox: Run 5,000m with Frozen Scarlett
- A Frozen Guy: Run 50,000m with Frozen Guy (works correctly as of 02/18/2016 - no need for Frozen Shadows or completion in one run, just the Guy clothes for 60 diamonds)
- Stay Frosty!: Score 2,500,000 in Frozen Shadow
- Fashion First: Unlock an Outfit
- Many Hats: Unlock 5 Hats
- Frozen Runner: Score 1,000,000 in Frozen Shadows
- Blazing Fast: Scored 1,000,000 in Blazing Sands
- It's A Trap: Open 20 doors to the "Hall of Kings
- Outrider: Ran 10,000m with Barry Bones' "Outrider" Outfit
- Charming: Found all 8 Charm Artifacts in Blazing Sands
- Blazing Trails: Scored 5,000,000 in Blazing Sands
- Invincible: Scored 2,500,000 points 'No Save Me"
- Shadow Walker: Ran 50,000 meters with Karma Lee's "Shadow Walker" Outfit
- Going Global: Compete in a Global Challenge
- Top Prize: Earn the Top Prize in a Global Challenge
- Cartographer: Unlock a Map
- Challenger: Compete in 5 Global Challenges
- Globetrotter: Compete in 10 Global Challenges
- Monthly Statement: 30 Consecutive Daily Challenges
Daily and weekly challenges reward the player with coins or gems when completed. All of these challenges require a random task to finish.
Daily Challenges: These challenges may contain tasks of "in one run" or "in total".
- Day 1: Rewards 250 coins.
- Day 2: Rewards 500 coins.
- Day 3: Rewards 750 coins.
- Day 4: Rewards 1000 coins.
- Day 5: Rewards either coins (5000 - 15000) or gems (1 - 2).
Weekly Challenges: There are always three weekly challenges which can be done in multiple runs. The first challenge will award 1000 coins, the second will award 5000 coins, and the final one will award exactly ten gems.
- See also: Category:Artifacts
Beginning with version 1.5 in October 2013, artifacts were introduced to the game. Collecting artifacts can earn a reward (coins or gems), which can be claimed in artifact screen.
Sky Summit Edit
- Infinite Loop : 100 coins
- Angel Wings : 100 coins
- Twisted Root : 250 coins
- Floating Island : 250 coins
- Sky Clasp : 500 coins
- Demon Claw : 1000 coins
- Ruby Shard : 2500 coins
- Cave's Maw : 1 gem
- Mystic Rocks : 1 gem
- Idol's Curse : 2 gems
Unlock all ten to unlock the Ring Hat.
Blazing Sands Edit
- Carved Thigh: 100 coins
- Emerald Trinket: 100 coins
- Thigh Dagger: 250 coins
- Emerald Bite: 250 coins
- Demon Skull: 500 coins
- Jaw Bone: 500 coins
- Vulture Skull: 1000 coins
- Golden Talon: 1 gem
Unlock all eight to unlock the Anubis Head Piece.
- Fire Breather : 100 coins
- Infinite Seeker : 100 coins
- Traveling Tiki : 250 coins
- Skyward Scream : 250 coins
- Serpent's Smile : 500 coins
- Silent Menace : 1000 coins
- Jade Monster : 2500 coins
- The Gatekeeper : 1 gem
- Demon Skull : 1 gem
- Face of the Idol : 2 gems
Unlock all ten to unlock the Mask Hat.
Sky Summit Edit
- Cucumingo : 100 coins
- Ultra Beetle : 100 coins
- Exotic Bird : 250 coins
- Toad : 250 coins
- Winged Screamer : 500 coins
- Thorny Snail : 1000 coins
- Chameleon : 2500 coins
- Melon Turtle : 1 gem
- Flying Piranha : 1 gem
- Gemini Snake : 2 gems
Unlock all ten to unlock the Critter Hat.
Frozen Shadows Edit
- Buck Toothed Slapper: 100 coins.
- Tundra Snapper: 100 coins.
- Lagopuff: 200 coins.
- Otterhawk: 100 coins.
- Pug Seal: 500 coins.
- Great Horned Winterbear: 1000 coins.
- Wallbird: 250 coins.
- Llotter: 1 gem.
Unlock all eight to unlock the Shadow Horns.
Sky Summit Edit
- Predaberries : 100 coins
- Exotic Fruit : 100 coins
- Maneater : 250 coins
- Pitcher-plant : 250 coins
- Rare Flower : 500 coins
- Fungus Amongus : 1000 coins
- Snapdragons : 2500 coins
- Thorny Strangler : 1 gem
- Ancient Seeds : 1 gem
- Fluorescents : 2 gems
Unlock all ten to unlock the Crown of Flowers.
Frozen Shadows Edit
- Frost Bells: 100 coins
- Winter Radish: 100 coins
- Grump Root: 200 coins
- Ice Berries: 250 coins
- Weeping Tundra Willow: 500 coins
- Fur Caps: 250 coins
- Ice Seeds: 1 gem
- Prickle Cones: 1000 coins
Unlock all eight to unlock he Essence of Deer
Blazing Sands Edit
- Luminous Cacti: 100 coins
- Fire Petal: 100 coins
- Hand Cacti: 250 coins
- Magma Peppers: 500 coins
- BrambleThrasher Seeds: 1000 coins
- Prickle Melon: 200 coins
- Mawthorns: 100 coins
- Regal Stinkflower: 1 gem
Unlock all eight to unlock the Cactus Hat.
- Golden Llama : 100 coins
- Greek Vase : 250 coins
- Ushabti : 500 coins
- Neo Dagger : 1000 coins
- Jade Treasure : 1 gem
Unlock all five to unlock the Crown of Snake.
- Candy Cane : 250 coins
- Stocking : 500 coins
- Holly : 1000 coins
- Present : 2500 coins
- Wreath : 2 gems
Collecting all five unlocks Santa Hat.
- Chocolates : 250 coins
- Card : 500 coins
- Bouquet : 1000 coins
- Gift : 2500 coins
- Hearts : 2 gems
Collecting all five unlocks Bouncy Hearts Headband.
St. Patrick's Edit
- Four Leaf Clover : 250 coins
- Rainbow : 500 coins
- Leprechaun Boots : 1000 coins
- Pot O' Gold : 2500 coins
- Emerald Idol : 2 gems
Collecting all five unlocks Leprechaun Hat.
- Chocolate Bunny : 250 coins
- Basket : 500 coins
- Baby Chick : 1000 coins
- Jelly Beans : 2500 coins
- Golden Egg : 2 gems
Collecting all five unlocks Bunny Ears.
4th of July Edit
- Flag : 250 coins
- Bald Eagle : 500 coins
- Cannon : 1000 coins
- Hot Dog : 2500 coins
- Fireworks : 2 gems
Collecting all five unlocks Uncle Sam Hat.
- Crystal Skull: 250 coins
- Haunted Corn: 250 coins
- Creepy Eyeball: 1000 coins
- Skeleton Key: 1250 coins
- Tombstone: 1 gem
Collecting all five unlocks Jack-O-Lantern Head.
- Turkey Totem: 125 coins
- Meat Chunk: 500 coins
- Infinite Pies: 500 coins
- Gravy Bowl: 2500 coins
- Golden Corn: 2 gems
Collecting all five unlocks Pilgrim Hat.
- Boots of Speed
- Victor's Chalice
- Medallion of Champions
- Celestial Bow
- Priceless Game Ball
- Inspiring Flame
- Participation Ribbon
- Ancient Scorecard
Collecting all eight unlocks Championship Crown.
A selection of tactics:
It is possible to sometimes see power ups around corners before turning, this gives you a better chance at collecting the power up.
Engage boost to easily get past difficult parts of the game.
You can still tilt and turn corners whilst airborne. Use this to your advantage allowing you to jump at the last minute then change lanes to safety.
Artifact chest can only be collected once per run. If you're trying for a challenge or unlock, your best bet is to take a dive and die when you collect (or miss) the chest. However, if you miss a chest on a run another will eventually appear, but it might take awhile for it to appear. There is no pattern or guarantee to the chests, they could be the first power-up you get or the 500th, likewise their contents are also random. You may have 7/8 collected and still take you another 8 chests to pick up the last one you need.
Using the Gem ability, you can easily complete challenges that require you to pick up multiple gems in a single run. Using the ability counts towards this.
Upgrade in the following priorities:
- Coin Value
- Coin Magnet / Boost
- Power Meter / Pickup Spawn
- Score Multiplier / Save Me / Shield Duration
- Head Start
"The only character really worth unlocking is Scarlett Fox. I unlocked Barry Bones for coins bonus, but it's very small, it doesn't increase your coin/power meter (unlike similar coin power-ups on the map). Karma Lee is not worth upgrading too. Her power up gives you 500 bonus points, while Boost runs you through a distance of 400 meters, times the multiplier gives you over 20,000 points at once."
- After some update, Scarlett Fox is available at the beginning.
- Since Maria Selva is required for the objective "Photojournalist", you need to unlock her
- As of Frozen Shadows, you need to unlock the alternate outfits of Guy Dangerous and Scarlett Fox, due to related objectives.
Upon reaching level 11 you unlock the Gem Bonus ability. If you power this with gems (4 per boost) then you are awarded a 6 Gem bonus immediately on hitting your boost meter. Use this technique to farm gems for use with Save Me.
- This ability has been reworked, from "2 each use, 5 when powered with 2" to "1 each use, 6 when powered with 4". You still get one more gem per powered ability, however the total amount has been decreased.
Have your character equipped with the alternative (Boost or Coin Magnet) and then use both power-ups at the same time. Your character will then run through the map whilst collecting every coin. This is similar with purchasing the Usain Bolt character for his 'Bolt Boost' ability.
Power-Ups: More DetailEdit
Collecting power-ups is not affected by the tilt of your device. You can collect power-ups on top of hills by jumping just before the top. Power-ups above the slope itself (leading to the top of the hill) cannot be collected easily, so make good practice. Some power-ups are placed in awkward positions where collecting them will lead to death, e.g. you jump to collect a power-up and then fall in the gap in front. Only the Boost power-up is worth collecting in such cases (as it allows you to survive the next obstacle). Power-ups, as well as slide-under obstacles, can be jumped over in very rare cases (e.g. jumping from top of the hill while on boost).
It only protects you from obstacles such as roofs, fire, wheels with spikes, wooden trippers (in the Narrows) etc. It doesn't protect you from falling! It only protects you from one obstacle
Coin Bonus Edit
Instant 50 coin bonus
Engages Boost instantly
Score Bonus Edit
Instant 500 point bonus
Very helpful power-up, as you don't need to tilt your device so much. It can drag coins from other turns while on the railways. Works perfectly with Boost.
Fills your Power Meter by approximately 1/3 and gives you 50 coins. This is very helpful because it can fill your meter.
Gives you a gem, but up to 6 gems if maxed out the bar, and they can be used revive after death with Save Me.
Engages Bolt power instantly.(Should buy Usain Bolt to unlock.)
Fast turns are very dangerous as surviving depends on how quickly you can react.
(Prior to a June 2013 update, it was not uncommon to encounter two jumping obstacles back-to-back, as in the picture above. It required extreme precision to land between the two and then immediately jump again, or a Shield or Boost power-up.)
- While sliding on the zipline, relax. Tilt your device to get coins. Nothing can happen to you.
- Aquaducts is probably the easiest part of Temple Run. Simply tilt your device to one of the sides and keep it there until you need to tilt it to the other side (to get coins or to turn). You aren't recommended to use Boost there, as you'll probably miss most coins and as it's such an easy part. Consider aquaduct as a chance for you to refill your Power Meter. (Best thing here is to get it filled and upon the end collect Coin Magnet).
- Railway however is difficult due to the fact that you can't see what's ahead, high chance of crashing into dead end. If you activate boost in a railway or aquaduct, the boost will take you to the nearest exit (by taking the correct turns).
- There is a semi-tilt! If you slightly tilt your device to the left (or right), you are able to collect coins from both central and left (or right) lines! Remember this when on Boost, as adjusting there is difficult. But if semi-tilt is used, you have a chance of collecting 2/3 of all coins.
- Infinirunner is probably a life-time goal for most players. Ask your friends, siblings, relatives, and grandparents for help!
- If you continually slide while in Boost mode, your invincibility will wear off, but you will still be running fast. This is not advised, as it is harder to react in time to dodge the obstacles and it does not end even if you enter Boost mode again (you'll still be running super fast afterward).